PHOENIX PARK, DUBLIN 8
Dublin Zoo is Ireland’s largest zoo and covers over 69 acres of the Phoenix Park. On September 1st, 1831 the “Zoological Gardens Dublin”, as it was then known, was opened on four acres of land by the Zoological Society of Ireland. In the beginning animals consisted of 46 mammals and 72 birds donated by London Zoo.
Initially, the zoo was open to society members, their friends and anyone who could afford the entrance fee of six pence. In 1840, the society decided to open the zoo on Sundays for a penny. Today, the popular tourist attraction rakes in over 1 million visitors per year and houses over 400 animals.